Sunday 21 August 2011

Tea-smoked duck breast



I haven't cooked a lot of duck, but with the plethora of duck dishes on Masterchef, I feel as best equipped as I ever will. The recipe is from the Masterchef Cookbook, Volume 1. I was running short of time making this dish, so sacrificed the ravioli which was supposed to adorn the duck. I was rushing so much I didn't take a photo, but Hayley grabbed this quick shot. The sauce was tangy and delicious, and the smokey flavour of the duck was excellent. I didn't have blood oranges so substituted navels. I didn't have any dried orange peel, so just left it out. I also changed the accompanying spinach in the recipe to whatever was on hand.


Tea Smoked Duck Breast

4 duck breasts
salt

Tea Smoking Mix
1/2 cup oolong tea leaves
1/2 cup jasmine tea leaves
zest 3 oranges cut into wide strips
4 pieces dried orange peel
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup brown sugar
5 whole star anise
1 tbs Sichuan peppercorns
6 pieces cassia bark (I used cinnamon)

Orange sauce
1 1/2 tbs caster sugar
1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 cup blood orange juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
grated zest of 1/2 orange
25g butter

To make smoked duck, line a wok with foil then place all smoke mixture onto the foil. Turn the heat to medium and wait until it starts to smoke. Place duck breasts skin side down on a rack in the wok. Cover and cook for 7 minutes or until rare.

To make orange sauce, place sugar in a saucepan and melt it slowly. Add vinegar and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Add orange juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Add stock and simmer again until reduced by half. Add orange zest and butter. Season to taste.

Place duck skin side down in a hot frying pan and cook until the fat has melted and skin is crispy. Rest a few minutes then cut into slices. Drizzle with sauce to serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment